Microwave – A household appliance designed for quick cooking or heating of food, as well as for defrosting food. Heating of foods in a microwave oven is not on the surface, but throughout the entire volume. Choose based on five main criteria.
- How microwave ovens work
- Choosing a microwave oven: basic parameters
- Which microwave oven is best for your home: a regular one, with grill, or with convection?
- What type of control is more convenient: mechanical, push-button or touch screen
- The inside of microwave ovens
Which stove to choose?
Small volume – capacity 19 liters or less. Such an oven is suitable for defrosting food or heating food.
Medium size – capacity 20-25 liters. This oven is perfect for a family of three or four people. Many of these microwave ovens are equipped with a grill, allowing you to cook food with a flavorful and crispy crust.
Large volume – capacity of 26-32 liters. Great for a large family. Often this type of oven can be equipped with special grates. Convection and grill function.
The capacity is determined based on two elements – The power of the device itself (energy consumption), the microwaves and the grill. Each oven has an adjustable power level for cooking different kinds of foods.
The greater the volume of the oven, the greater the microwave power. Microwave oven power without a grill averages 800 watts or less. In grill mode – 900 – 1500 watts.
Microwave oven «Solo»
Microwave regular “solo” Uses only microwave radiation to process food. Models vary in microwave power. The more powerful the oven, the faster the food can be heated and cooked.
Microwave oven with a convection mode is optimal for fans of baking, and appetizing baked meat or poultry. A fan blows air heated to a predetermined temperature into the oven, heating evenly to a nice crispy crust. Convection mode combined with microwave. This speeds up cooking and preserves the natural flavors and appearance, including vitamins.
You can grill vegetables, fish and meat. The food is crispy and browned. The grill can be as follows:
. The ceiling of the microwave oven houses a concealed quartz lamp that heats the food in a short period of time. It is easy to clean, under the metal grill; – The tube with the heating element inside, placed in the upper part of the chamber. Many ovens are equipped with "movable" element (heating element). Optionally, it can be moved and placed vertically or at an angle to provide heating on the side. Microwave oven cavity with movable THEN grill is easy and convenient to clean. In addition to the upper heating element of the grill is the bottom in some models. It is designed especially for gourmets, as with it it is possible to cook crispy cookies, bread crumbs, pizza with crispy crust; Grill type. Microwave «over charcoal» Uses halogen heat and a carbon heater for cooking. Reduces cooking time and gives new flavors to your dishes. The carbon heater is located in the upper part of the inner chamber of the microwave oven along with the quartz fan. The carbon fiber core is placed in an insulating tube filled with vacuum or inert gas. When heated, the charcoal fiber emits heat comparable in radiation power and wavelength to a conventional fire. The heat penetrates deep into the food, preserving the juiciness and wholesomeness of the food.
There are three types of microwave oven controls:
– Reliable and easy to control. Turn two knobs and the oven begins to work. One knob sets the power, the second one – cooking time. This type is great for the elderly or children; – More difficult to use, but interesting. You can select the cooking time according to the weight of the food. Choose the type of food and the weight, the microwave does the rest of the work. Time is entered on the display. Several recipes are stored in the memory of such an oven; – The functions are the same as for the push-button type of control. Only the touch panel is pressed.
The taste of cooked food in the microwave depends on the interior of the oven. The finishes come in the following types:
- Enamel coating: a popular type of finish. It is easy to keep clean;
- Ceramic coating: durable, difficult to scratch. Droplets of fat on the walls are easy to remove with a normal kitchen sponge;
- Of stainless steel: looks elegant, durable. Resistant to temperature fluctuations. This is why this finish is used in the manufacture of ovens with a grill and convection. More difficult to keep clean.
- defrosting function. You can quickly defrost the foods you need. Some models have an automatic defrosting function: the oven selects the power level, determines the heating time;
- automatic cooking. Select the type of food and its weight, the microwave itself will set the mode, power, time;
- Automatic reheating. This function is no different from the previous one. Specify that you want to heat a dish, identify the type of food and its weight. This mode includes: «Soup», «Ready meal», «Drinks»;
- childproofing. Disables or locks all keys, eliminating access by small children. Starts the cooking mode at any convenient time;
- fast cooking. Ensures that food is cooked in a short period of time. You can heat up a dish even in 30 seconds at high power;
- steam cleaning. This function itself easily removes grease and food debris from the inner cover with steam;
- odor-removal. Removes food odors after cooking;
- steam sensor. Food is steamed at 100 degrees. When programming the food just indicate the type of food and press the button «start».The display shows the remaining cooking time;
- Keeping food warm requires fully automatic temperature control. A great function if you need to keep food hot for a certain period of time;
- horn signal. Alerts you when cooking, defrosting or heating is finished.
Built-in microwave forms a single ensemble with the kitchen surface of the rest of the furniture and appliances.
Among the models of built-in microwave ovens, there are three groups:
- Microwaves are conventional, having a minimal set of functions;
- Microwave ovens equipped with a grill;
- Microwaves with grill and convection.
The built-in microwave oven goes where you want it in your kitchen. Experts advise to mortise the microwave so that its door was at chest level. No need to bend over when using it.
Built-in microwave should only be installed by a service representative. He will professionally conduct installation and connection of kitchen equipment. If you install it yourself, you forfeit the right to free warranty repair and maintenance.
What cookware is suitable for microwave ovens?
- cookware made of heat-resistant glass;
- cookware made of heat-resistant plastic
- cookware made of heat-resistant ceramic and porcelain;
- Plastic bags are used for defrosting and heating food only when opened or with holes;
- High-shaped baking utensils are suitable for baking.
The heat-resistant glassware can be used in different microwave modes – Grill, convection, including heating.
See Gorenje microwave oven review. Chic design – That’s the best thing about it
Leave your feedback on “10 important parameters on how to choose a good microwave oven” article