Do you want to know how to choose a high-quality refrigerator?? Adhere to 6 criteria for choosing a unit to decide which refrigerator to choose.
The first things to consider when choosing a fridge are — Its size:
- small (height to 1 meter or 1-1.5 meters, width less than 59 cm) are convenient for country house, hotel or office;
- Refrigerators mini-bars (height 1-1.5 meters, width to 59 cm) are used to store drinks and fruit;
- Standard (height 1,71-1,85, width 60 cm) — The most common models for small or medium-sized kitchens;
- European standard (1,86-2 meters, width 60-80 cm).
The kitchen unit differs according to the principle of placement:
Mounted in kitchen furniture;
- Freestanding placed in a suitable place.
If there is little space in your kitchen, look out for narrow models with a width of 45 cm. Side-by-Side (90 to 120 cm wide) — For spacious kitchens and large families with good appetites. Multi-door refrigerators are convenient because their design provides several compartments for different types of food.
2. Freezer compartment layout
The second parameter you should pay attention to — The location of the freezer compartments and their volume. In refrigerators with the same dimensions, the freezer compartment volume differs depending on its location:
refrigerator (called «combi») The freezer volume reaches up to 300 liters. Often the chamber is equipped with 2-4 drawers (depending on the model); the refrigerator (called «Top») chamber volume up to 200 liters;
- In Side-by-Side, the freezer compartment is on the side with a capacity of up to 500 liters.
3. Refrigerator defrosting system
Common types of defrosting:
— When the compressor runs, ice forms on the back wall of the unit. When the compressor stops, they melt. Droplets drain into a special tank and evaporate; prevents the formation of frost and creates a dry microclimate. Integrated fans distribute the air evenly throughout the freezer compartment and refrigerator compartment. Some models have a fresh zone (zero zone) where up to 90% humidity is maintained. Food stored in this compartment does not dry out and stays fresh up to 1.5 times longer, unlike «No Frost» Has a separate defrosting system for the evaporator. The principle of the type of defrosting is the same as the preceding technology.
4. Type of compressor
An important consideration when choosing a refrigerator is the type of compressor:
the compressor cools quickly to the set temperature, switching on/off quietly and without vibration; the compressor does not switch off at all. It simply reduces the power to maintain a certain temperature.
In a fridge-freezer with a single compressor, you can’t defrost the freezer and fridge compartments separately. The compressor with double-circuit cooling has an optimum power consumption class «А» or «А+».
The more pluses there are next to the letter «А», the less electricity the unit uses.
In the dual-compressor, each compartment has its own compressor, so you can defrost and regulate the temperature in the compartments independently of each other. But this feature increases the cost of the refrigerator by 20-30%. Moreover, if one of the compressors breaks down, both must be replaced. Two compressors consume twice as much power.
5. Noise level
Do not believe the tricks of advertising about the reduced noise level in a refrigerator. According to the technological standard, this level does not exceed 45 dB, which is comparable with the noise of leaves in windy weather. The noise, lowered by manufacturers by a few points, does not play a significant role, but the price is affected. It is better to pay attention to the warranty period of the model you like — The bigger the compressor, the better.
6. Extra features
Although the principle of operation of the domestic refrigerator, since its invention, practically has not changed, the modern models have a number of innovations for comfortable everyday use:
- The super-cooling mode of the refrigerating chamber is convenient if you need to load warm food (especially in summer) or to cool a bottle of wine or juice quickly. This function cools products to an optimal temperature of +2°C;
- The super-freezing mode of the freezer compartment is convenient for fast freezing (up to -24°C) a large amount of food without loss of flavor;
- mode «Vacation» Reduces energy consumption when you are away from home for a long time. The freezer compartment works as usual and minimal energy is used to cool the empty fridge compartment.
Now you know how to choose a fridge for your home and cottage, as well as which one is better.
In the electronic catalog of our store a wide range of home appliances. Order your item now. Tomorrow we will deliver your purchase at your convenience.
This refrigerator not only cools and freezes. It can also think and adjust. Do not believe? Watch this video review!
Leave your feedback on “6 considerations for choosing a fridge” article